So, you have decided to organise Jubilee Street Party (or attend one), but what food and drink to bring along? No need to panic; we’ve got your back! See our top tips pulled together by our excellent events team.
Victoria sponge comes to mind. It is, of course, a classic, but there is a ‘but’; think about how you will serve it. It is not the easiest cake to cut, after all. How about choosing scones, Victoria sponge-inspired cupcakes or tray bakes. These alternatives are easy to make and even easier to serve. Win-win.
Everyone heard of cheese on a stick and cucumber sandwiches. But why would you not push the boat out a little and make something special? How about an Afternoon Tea style selection? Mini Coronation Chicken pies. Mini sausage and apricot rolls. Tomato and basil tartlets. Bacon and cheese scones or salmon and dill cream wrap wheels. Devine!
A pot of Yorkshire tea is a must. Something stronger is optional! We recommend dusting off the British classic, Pimm’s or Sangria, if you feel a bit more adventurous. They are both great crowd-pleasers. Plus, they serve very well in a jug and will create the proper summery atmosphere (even on a rainy day).
This recipe is, in our humble opinion (probably), the best sangria recipe out there. We’ve tasted, tested, researched (retested again!), and we’ve come up with this easy, 6-ingredient, red sangria that’s got everything a summer cocktail-loving world needs right now.
- 1/2 medium apple (cored, skin on, chopped into small pieces)
- 1/2 medium orange (rind on, sliced into small pieces, large seeds removed / plus more for garnish)
- 3-4 tbsp organic brown sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup brandy (plus more to taste)
- 750 ml bottle of dry Spanish red wine
- ice to chill
- Mix apples, oranges, and sugar in a large pitcher and muddle with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in orange juice and brandy and muddle again to combine.
- Finish with red wine and stir (taste and adjust flavour as needed, stir again).
- Add ice and stir once more to chill. Serve as is or with a bit more ice. Garnish with orange segments (optional).
Bunting, bunting, bunting and some more bunting! Yes, it is that simple.
We hope your street party will be a great success with our little guide. If you feel like you want to celebrate in a more intimate setting, why not book our Jubilee-inspired Afternoon Tea at Cedar Court Hotel Harrogate or Huddersfield.
Royal Afternoon Tea
3rd and 4th June | from 12noon
£16.00 per adult
£20.00 per adult, including a glass of Prosecco
£8.00 per child
See more details and book here